AT & T Global Services
Configurations for AT & T Global Network Services, to be used securely over Shiva Virtual Private Network (or any VPN for that matter). The idea is to install Shiva VPN software and then the AT & T GNS software. The Sales team and telecommuters are then be able to work through a secure “tunnel” and also to increase the bandwidth of the connection up to 56 KB range.
AT & T Global Network Set Up
These instructions for installing the AT & T Global Network Set Up assume that a modem is installed on your laptop correctly and also that the Shiva VPN software has been installed and is configured properly. Be sure to be logged in to your Shiva account.
You should also be prepared to make up another password specifically for this AT & T service!
I. Download the software (“Setup.exe”)
- Go to the following link to download the needed software:
Locate the language of your choice (English is listed first) for the “AT & T Global Network Dialer for Windows 95, 98,” etc. and click the link for it. On the right hand side of this new page you will see the download link. Download the file to a folder you will remember when beginning the following installation. The file is about 1.7 Megabytes.
II. Installing “Setup.exe”
- Double click the “Setup.exe” you just downloaded.
- You then see “Welcome to the installation program for AT & T Global Network Dialer” window. Click “Next”.
- At the Legal Agreement window, click “I Agree” after reading it.
- At the “Please select the type of installation that best suits your needs” window, choose “typical”, accept default directory for installation(unless you have reason not to). Click “Next”.
- At “Ready to install”! window, click “Start Install”.
6. After a brief period of time, “Installation is complete” window appears. Click “Yes, continue setup” to start the process of connecting to AT & T Global Network.
III. The Account setup
**Very important! Our Account name is “UVWXYZ”. Your User ID will be assigned by the IT Department. This is your “Login Profile”. Your password on the first dial up is the same as your User ID, although afterward you will not be able to proceed until you change that password.
- At the Dialer Setup Window, you will be reminded that the following items are needed before proceeding: a modem, Windows networking components (installed by default by IT Department), and an account (which will be formalized in the remaining steps). Click “Next”.
- Asked, “Do you have an account with the AT & T Global Network”? select “Yes, I have a business account”. Click “Next”.
- At the “What is your AT & T Global Network account and user ID”? window, enter “bsric” for the Account. Then enter the User ID that IT Support has supplied to you. Click “Next”.
IV. Network configurations needed for the AT & T software
- In response to “Which network would you like to access”? select “The Internet”. Click “Next”.
- For “What types of computers would you like to access”? check “LAN servers and printers”. Click “Next”.
- Next, you are prompted for the modem type. Highlight the modem of your laptop (should be default, probably the only one there, i.e.”Gold Card”-related for Dell perhaps). Click “Next”.
- In response to “Where are you calling from”? enter in an intuitive name, for example “AT & T Global”. Go to Dial Properties to enter this and be sure the area code you are calling from is inserted.
**Note the category, “To access an outside line”. Probably leave blank for now but there may be occasions when you will have to manually enter a 9 in order to access the outside from say, a hotel or office.
Click “OK” to exit Dial Properties.
[Here you can either click “Change.” or click “Next”. It takes you to the same window. If you travel to different countries you will need to change according to your location].
- At the “Select a Phone Number To Call” window you will see all your dial up options, by clicking the drop-down arrow by “Country/Region”, depending on what country you are in. Click “Next”. Connect to the Global Network now to test it. Click “Finish”.
- At the Login window, type in the Login profile, which is your User ID, as well as the password, which again, is the same as your User ID and should be given to you by IT Department. Click “Connect”.
- You may then be prompted for your company network login and password (for the NT Domain, named “Corporate”. Remember: this password is different than both the one you entered for the AT & T network as well as the Shiva one). It is, however, not necessary to do this. Those employees who have never been logged directly on the NT network (i.e the sales team) may not see a prompt.
V. Some Final Notes
- Finally, you should be greeted by AT & T Global Network. You will need to type in a new password (for this first connection). You will then connect automatically to the Internet, AT & T’s Business Internet Site. Feel free to browse the “Network View” window (AT & T’s network, not RSV’s).
- Also, you may be prompted to download the latest software, for example the “Dialer Program” or “Phone List”. Although not needed, we recommend that you download the latest software updates, especially the phone list!
- Back to the Shiva VPN (it is currently idle): open the Shiva program icon either from your system tray or from the Desktop. Select the tunnel name and connect either from the icon right above or from the “Tunnels” menu on the Menu bar. You will see some activity requesting an IP address, etc., and then be prompted for an company network password. Now enter your company password.
- If your Email client software is configured already for company Email, then you should be ready to check your Email.
- Finally, it is recommended that you print out the configurations you just entered in case of an emergency: open the “Network” drop-down menu, then “Print Setup”, assuming you are connected to a printer.
**Some troubleshooting items to remember: if you use other Dial Up programs, you might encounter some difficulty in connecting or sending company Email. Try to right-click Internet Explorer, open Connections, and review the settings. Be certain the “Never Dial a connection” box is not selected. You may have to try “Always dial my default connection”.